– Fuel cells and hydrogen engines supply new trans-shipment centre with Co2-free energy
– Worlds largest inland port relies on decentralized energy supply
WEBWIRE – Friday, December 17, 2021
Rolls-Royce will ensure a climate-neutral energy supply at the container terminal currently under construction at the Port of Duisburg, Germany. Rolls-Royces Power Systems business unit is supplying its latest mtu hydrogen technology for this purpose, in order to supply the future terminal with electrical energy and heat in a sustainable manner: mtu fuel cell solutions for electrical peak load coverage as well as mtu hydrogen heat and power generation station. To this end, Duisport, one of the worlds largest inland ports, is working with several partners to build a hydrogen-based supply network by 2023 that includes several technologically sophisticated options for energy conversion and storage.
Hydrogen as one of the fuels of the future and as an essential building block for the energy transition will play a central role when, in a few years time, Duisburg, Europes largest inland port, shows what the energy supply of the future may look like: decentralised and climate-friendly. The largest container terminal in Europes hinterland is currently being built on the former coal island, once a transshipment point for bulk cargo. It will not only set new standards in cargo handling, but also in climate-friendly energy supply. The main role in this project, called enerport II, is played by fuel cells and mtu hydrogen engines – each with different tasks.
The hydrogen-powered mtu fuel cell solutions supply electrical power as soon as the public power grid reaches its limits, for example for the on-board power supply of ships berthed in the port or in the event of other load peaks. In addition, two combined heat and power plants with mtu hydrogen engines of the 4000 series convert hydrogen energy into electrical energy, which is fed into the supply network of the future container terminal or into the public grid. The waste heat is used for process heat or for heating buildings in and around the port. Furthermore, photovoltaic systems and battery storage are integrated into the local supply network, which is being realized by the port operator Duisport, Westenergie Netzservice, Netze Duisburg, Stadtwerke Duisburg and Stadtwerke Duisburg Energiehandel together with the Fraunhofer Institute Umsicht. The project is being funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy for a period of four years as part of the Hydrogen Technology Offensive.
Hydrogen technology is no longer a dream of the future, but hydrogen technology will prove itself in everyday use in Duisburg. The parallel use of fuel cell solutions and hydrogen engines shows that we have taken the right path with our technology-open approach to the development of new solutions for the energy supply of the future, says Andreas Schell, CEO of Rolls-Royce Power Systems.
Hydrogen as an energy solution for inland ports: A microgrid based on renewable energies with hydrogen-powered fuel cells for emergency and peak power as well as hydrogen combustion engines (here a principle illustration) will meet the special energy requirements of port facilities. A similar solution is being created in the near future for the Port of Duisburgs new container terminal with mtu hydrogen technology from Rolls-Royce
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030. We joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, and have committed to ensuring our new products will be compatible with net zero operation by 2030, and all products will be compatible with net zero by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 9,000 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £11.76 billion in 2020 and we invested £1.25 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE:RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69).
( Press Release Image: https://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/8/282955/282955-1.jpg )
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.
Learn More: entertainment near me,entertainment synonym,entertainment center ideas,entertainment lawyer,3 arts entertainment,entertainment law,entertainment 720,entertainment work permit,entertainment room,entertainment logo,entertainment trivia,entertainment wall units,entertainment wall,entertainment industry jobs,entertainment in the 1920s,entertainment and sports arena,entertainment attorney,entertainment media,entertainment design,entertainment marketing,entertainment lawyer salary,entertainment benefits group,entertainment jobs los angeles,entertainment jobs atlanta,entertainment venues,entertainment brands,3 piece entertainment center,entertainment and sports arena dc,entertainment places,entertainment jobs nyc,entertainment hobby shop jungle,entertainment videos,entertainment reddit,entertainment 1920s,yg entertainment actors,p nation entertainment,entertainment voice,entertainment venues near me