,October 14, 2021
Image: Naomi Sherman
These savoury scrolls are delicious and filling. The hardest part of the entire recipe is waiting for the onion to cool. The classic combination of spinach and feta is given a boost with the addition of softly cooked red onion and a hint of nutmeg.
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 100g firm feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 210ºC (conventional) and line 2 large baking trays.
- Gently cook onion in the olive oil until softened and caramelised. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the spinach into a strainer and press to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper out on the bench, at least as long as two sheets of pastry.
- Beat the egg with the water.
- Lay one sheet of pastry out and brush one edge with the egg mixture.
- Overlap the second sheet by about 1cm and use a fork to firmly press together so that you have one long, rectangular sheet of pastry.
- Sprinkle the entire sheet with the shredded mozzarella, leaving a 2cm gap at one short end.
- Pull the spinach apart and scatter over the top of the shredded cheese and then sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Scatter the red onion over the top and then finish off by crumbling the feta all over the fillings.
- Paint a layer of egg wash over the gap at the end of the sheet.
- Starting at the short end that doesn’t have the gap, begin rolling your pastry up into a log, using the baking paper to help. Make sure that the join is sitting underneath the roll and let it sit for 5 mins to help create a good seal.
- Then, using a very sharp knife, carefully cut the log into 12 even slices. I cut my log into half, then quarters and then each quarter into three slices.
- Lay the slices out flat on your lined trays and then brush them with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 25 mins. These slices can be portioned out and frozen. Enjoy!
- Note: This recipe can be easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free pastry.
This easy pasta bake is the perfect way to use up leftover veggies in the fridge. Add chilli flakes to…
Looking for a delicious dinner option that’s jam-packed with vegetables? These easy and tasty burgers made with black beans and…
Learn More: healthy food near me,health care privacy part 2,health store near me,health triangle,health plan of san joaquin,health o meter scale,health hut,health partners plans,heath zenith,health related fitness,health o meter,health unlimited,health food near me,health gear inversion table,health warrior,no healthy upstream,health journeys,health right 360,healthx,health union,health unit coordinator salary,health gauge des moines,health village imaging,health gorilla,health zone,health nut cafe,health 3.0,how much health does the ender dragon have,health kick,health verity,health velocity capital,health quarters,how much health does the wither have,health 101,c health lebanon va,e health messaging,m health maple grove,healthxl,health 5e,i health inc